This team was tasked with building University and Community Connectivity; specifically, creating a community culture that embraces college students, and positions Tallahassee as their home-away-from-home, paving the way for them to build relationships with residents and plant roots here long before they graduate. The KCCI team opted to utilize the “Experience Tallahassee” event as a platform to facilitate these connections.
Experience Tallahassee has previously been a partnership between FSU, TCC and FAMU to welcome students into the community. KCCI’s “Experience Tallahassee Team” is working in conjunction with them to vastly expand the event to include the local community, and highlight why Tallahassee is a great place to Live, Work and Play, while showcasing Tallahassee’s offerings.
The Experience Tallahassee event in Cascades Park includes:
- Two “mini pre-events” at popular Tallahassee Districts to showcase the area’s offerings. Trolleys will connect students and community members by taking them from District to District, and then to Cascades Park for the main event. Students can register for the Tours here.
- Live, Work and Play sections, including a career- focused area for students to network with local business owners and talk with the universities’ Career Centers.
- Performances by local organizations, and a concluding movie in the park.
- “Taste of Tallahassee,” featuring a wide variety of local eats.
- And Much More.
As an additional component of the project, the Experience Tallahassee class also created “Tallahassee’s Top 50” – a list of fifty experiences that students and residents alike can enjoy. The map was distributed to new and transfer students and their families, and has been extremely popular on social media channels with students and locals alike. The team incorporated the illustrated map of the city, created by previous catalyst class “See Tallahassee,” and included experiences within each of the identified Districts.
Special thank you to the Experience Tallahassee event sponsors.
- North American Properties
- Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare
- Arbor Properties
- Early Learning Coalition of the Big Bend
- CareerSource Capital Region
- FSU College of Business
- FSU School of Teacher Education
- NAI Talcor
- Northwestern Mutual
- Ajax Building Corporation
- Front Street
- The Office of Economic Vitality
- Hancock Whitney
- Innovation Park
- Southern Standard Construction
- Tallahassee- Leon County Planning Department
- Selfie Tally
For the latest updates on the festival, follow the Experience Tallahassee Facebook page.
These are the people who helped make this project possible.
- Bryson Bard
- Long Chen
- Elizabeth Emmanuel
- Blair Gregg
- Mary Lee Kiracofe
- Lindsey Magura
- Heather Mayo
- Slaton Murray
- Doug Saunders
- Rose Skepple
- Daniel Wagnon
- Marcia Warfel